Thursday, June 26, 2008

Booking Through Thursday




Thanks to Trish, I discovered Booking Through Thursday, a site that poses a different reading-related question each week.

This week's is:

What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader?” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?
Let me get this off my chest. I don't trust people who don't read. I really don't.

I always shocks me when someone declares, “I don’t read.” First, why would you admit that, with any sort of pride? Second, you don’t read…anything?

I don't think that someone who reads the newspaper, and the newspaper alone, can be classified as a “reader”…but I still want to clarify this with these non-readers. You don’t read magazines? You don’t read books to your kids? You don’t read the back of the cereal box? You can just say across the board that you "don’t read"? That’s amazing to me.

Short answer...I think a reader is someone who reads books. Is that just narrow-minded of me?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there's a big difference between people who say, "I'm not much of a reader" and "Oh, I don't read." My dad wasn't much of a reader, it would take him a two weeks to a month to finish a normal trade paperback. But, he read. On the other hand, I have an ex-(notice, it is an EX)husband who doesn't read, and makes fun of anyone who does.

S. Krishna said...

I just don't understand people who don't read - especially those that seem to take pride in it! (I haven't read a book since college, etc.)

jessi said...

It always amazes me that people will brag about not reading. How boring for them! Library cards and imaginations are free for a reason. :)

Sarah said...

I also don't quite trust or understand people who don't read. There are some people who just don't make time to read, because it isn't a high priority in their life, but they do enjoy a good book every now and then. I even have trouble understanding that... but then there are the people who simply don't read at all and don't see where the pleasure is in it. I had a manager like that - he said something about preferring to watch the movie made from a book because it didn't take as long. Um, what?

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I love your answer! And I agree! People who say 'I hate reading' and say it like they're proud of that really irritate me. I have a low tolerance for ignorance and I think people like that are ignorant. Is that harsh?

SmilingSally said...

I wrote about reading the back of the cereal box!
I think that nonreaders are people who have never been given the GIFT of the love of reading.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

People are a bit lazy about entertainment these days. The thing about reading is that there is work involved. Whereas watching tv, someone else does all the imaginative work. Imagination is like everything else, if you don't use it you lose it. I think most people are so badly out of practice that it just becomes too difficult for them.

http://web.mac.com/bluestocking_bb

trish said...

I'm really glad you decided to participate!

And I agree with you, for the most part. I was trying to think about any friends I have who don't read...I'm sure I must have some, but I can't think of any! :-)

trish said...

Hahaha!! I like your answer. My answer was trying to stop people from saying, "A reader is anyone who can read." Some people said something similar to that a couple of weeks ago, and due to the stress of the wedding, I replied with some very terse responses. :-)