Sunday, April 25, 2010

What Have I Been Reading?

I've been a reading fool the past few weeks, with some hits and misses.

Two of my long-time favorite authors have new novels this spring: Elizabeth Berg's The Last Time I Saw You and Sue Miller's The Lake Shore Limited. While both enjoyable books, these two weren't my favorites from these writers.

However, if you're a fan, I'd still give them a read...and if you've never read anything by these authors before, might I suggest The Year of Pleasures (Berg) and While I Was Gone (Miller).

On the other hand, two other seasoned novelists knocked my socks off with their new releases.

Anna Quindlen's Every Last One was a powerful read, exploring the journey of a mother rebuilding her life and finding her way after a devastating family tragedy. When mid-way through the novel, the meaning of the title revealed itself, I had to put the book down and walk away for a little bit, so chilled was I by it.

Lionel Shriver's So Much for That focuses on our best-laid plans...and how we have to adjust when life throws a curve our way. After saving up money for years for "The Afterlife," a retirement plan in which he escapes to a yet undecided remote island, a husband must rethink the future when his wife becomes ill...and the funds are diverted to paying for her healthcare bills.

Finally, if you're looking for new writers to fall in love with, I'd recommend these impressive new debut novels: The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw and The Season of Second Chances by Diane Meier.

Today, I'm starting Dianne Dixon's The Language of Secrets...Happy Sunday!

11 comments:

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I LOVE when books like Every Last One make you just stop and absorb what you've just read or discovered in the story. That is the sign of a great book for me. I'll definitely be looking into that one! Have a great reading week Jill!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

The Swimming Pool is on my wish list. I really liked Diane Meier's debut.
I've heard similar thoughts about the new Berg book. I'm a fan and will probably get it from the library. Every Last One sounds intense!

Kathy (mommysreading) said...

I am on the hold list at the library for Every Last One. I am hoping to get it soonn. I have seen The Swimming Pool everywhere and never gave it a second thought. Now, for some reason, I am going to go look it up. Who knows, I may find it becomes a favorite. Thanks

Molly said...

I look forward to the day when I have enough free time to read all these wonderful books!

I am especially interested in reading Shriver's So Much for That.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Wow Jill....you had an amazing reading streak it seems.....don't you just love when that happens?

A friend has been urging me to pick up the new Quindlen book so we can discuss it, she loved it, so I need to get to it soon.

Lake Shore Limited did not wow me.

Have a great week!

bermudaonion said...

You have been a reading fool! Thanks for the recommendations.

Anonymous said...

Lots of titles to add to my to-read list here! I loved The Year of Pleasures when I read it earlier this year, and am definitely planning to seek out more of Berg's work.

Anonymous said...

Jill, you've had some good books going. When you said you walked away from Every Last One, you mean forever walked away? I'm hearing really intense things about that book. I'm planning on picking it up soon.

Serena said...

sounds like you've been busy! I haven't read any of these...yet!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I came over here to check on the WOW post for this week, and was fascinated by this post.

You've mentioned several books that I have on my stacks at this moment...The Last Time I Saw You, The Lake Shore Limited, and Every Last One.

Also, The Swimming Pool should arrive in my mailbox this week.

Your comments just made me even more eager to read these!

You're right, too, about the Berg and Miller books you mentioned. I loved both of these.

opbestcom8 said...

Hurrah, that's what I was looking for, what a material!

existing here at this website, thanks admin of this web page.

Feel free to surf to my webpage - 대구오피
(mm)