Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Waiting On" Wednesday: The Woman Upstairs

 "Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

The Woman Upstairs
By Claire Messud
Publication Date: April 30

From Amazon:

Nora Eldridge, a 37-year-old elementary school teacher in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who long ago abandoned her ambition to be a successful artist, has become the "woman upstairs," a reliable friend and tidy neighbor always on the fringe of others' achievements. Then into her classroom walks Reza Shahid, a child who enchants as if from a fairy tale. He and his parents--dashing Skandar, a Lebanese scholar and professor at the École Normale Supérleure; and Sirena, an effortlessly glamorous Italian artist--have come to Boston for Skandar to take up a fellowship at Harvard. When Reza is attacked by schoolyard bullies who call him a "terrorist," Nora is drawn into the complex world of the Shahid family: she finds herself falling in love with them, separately and together. Nora's happiness explodes her boundaries, until Sirena's careless ambition leads to a shattering betrayal. Told with urgency, intimacy, and piercing emotion, this story of obsession and artistic fulfillment explores the thrill--and the devastating cost--of giving in to one's passions.



What's your "waiting on" pick this week?

Want to participate? Grab the logo, post your own WoW entry on your blog, and leave your link below!


34 comments:

Amy said...

This sounds interesting. Not typically something I would pick up, but I am always willing to try something new.

Sadie A said...

Like Amy, this is not something I'd usually read but good pick! I'll be sure to look it up when it's released.

Here's my ”Waiting on” Wednesday if you feel like checking it out.

Sadie @ Lyrics.

Micheline D said...

Oh wow. This sounds completely engrossing & also pretty intense! I hope you'll love it :) Thanks for hosting & happy new year!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I do love the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing...and welcome back!

hardcoverobsession.com said...

Happy New Year! This sounds spectacular! Not something I would usually read but nonetheless sounds absolutely enthralling and intense!

Cecelia said...

There's a hint of a twist involving Sirena, and I wonder how it plays with both of them being artists... interesting pick!

Mary BookHounds Jacobs said...

I need a change from what I have been reading - your choice sounds wonderful!

Mary BookHounds Jacobs said...

I need a change from what I have been reading - your choice sounds wonderful!

Book Blogger Mom said...

Love seeing what everyone's wants to read.

Catherine said...

Sounds like an engaging story with interesting characters. Will definitely look for it this spring.

Henrietta @ Leisure Reads said...

This sounds really good!! Thanks for sharing :)

Would you like to check out my WoW post? Have a gorgeous Wednesday!

Divergent Gryffindor said...

:)

Divergent Gryffindor said...

Seems interesting :)

Donna said...

Hmmm...doesn't sound like its in the dystopian genre so not sure I'll be picking this one up. :P

Patricia (Night Readings) said...

It sounds very interesting, though not something I usually would pick up to read. Thanks for the share!

Here's my first "Waiting on Wednesday" of 2013.

Andrea @The Bookish Babes said...

Nice pick. Thanks for sharing!

Jaclyn Canada said...

Great choice. Thank you for sharing and hosting! My WoW. Old Follower :D

Bonnie R said...

I just added this to my TBR! Sounds very intriguing, can't wait for it's release. :)
My WoW Pick!

Tena said...

Happy New Year! Hope 2013 is full of a lot of amazing books for you

Danielle Villano said...

Thanks so much for the opportunity! And happy New Year! :)

Best,
Danielle
http://thereaderscommute.blogspot.com

Shane said...

Awesome pick!

old follower
http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2013/01/waiting-on-wednesday-28.html

Alyssa Susanna said...

Never heard of this book, but now I know! Sounds interesting :)

Reyna Lay said...

I added this to my To Read list, looks interesting :) I added my first Waiting on Wednesday post to the list! New follower here :)

-Reyna
@glamourglory
www.glamglory.blogspot.com

Ayana said...

I just saw you're reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. How are you enjoying it? I finished it and loved it and hated it and a bunch of other emotions :) It drove me a little crazy, but in a good way. There's a review on my site, with no spoilers, if you want to check it out. Tell me what you think of it so far.

Ayana @ My Book Memoirs

fakesteph said...

Not usually my sort of book, but it definitely sounds compelling.

Marjorie Yoro said...

"explores the thrill--and the devastating cost--of giving in to one's passions."

That sounds... kind of sexy. Maybe I'll wait for some reviews first before I decide to buy it.

Anyway, this is a really cool meme. I already put my link up. Here's what I'm waiting for!

AJ Fairchild said...

Sounds like a fantastic read you found. Thanks for sharing!

Sharon ObsessionwithBooks said...

Happy New Year! A nice WoW pick :-)

Elizabeth said...

Sounds good

Bieke Paesen said...

Hi!
I want to participate with WoW, but I have some questions.
Can I make a logo myself or do I have to copy this one?
Can I pick the books or do they all have to be the same?

Leah Woods said...

Great choice! :)

Jenna said...


This does look interesting.

Here is my WoW

Joy H said...

Sounds like a great choice, hope you enjoy it!

Penelope Sanchez said...

This is what makes this novel fantastic. Upon realizing how betrayed she truly was, for years, Nora, the main character of the book turns into a rage that is all too familiar for many of us. I love it at the end of the book how she turns both her world and her life around and says: "Just watch me." Great novel.

Penelope
View Website Guided Rifle Montana Elk Hunting Trips