Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"Waiting On" Wednesday: The Paying Guests


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:


The Paying Guests
By Sarah Waters

Publication Date: September 16

From Amazon:

It is 1922, and London is tense. Ex-servicemen are disillusioned; the out-of-work and the hungry are demanding change. And in South London, in a genteel Camberwell villa—a large, silent house now bereft of brothers, husband, and even servants—life is about to be transformed as impoverished widow Mrs. Wray and her spinster daughter, Frances, are obliged to take in lodgers.

With the arrival of Lilian and Leonard Barber, a modern young couple of the “clerk class,” the routines of the house will be shaken up in unexpected ways. Little do the Wrays know just how profoundly their new tenants will alter the course of Frances’s life—or, as passions mount and frustration gathers, how far-reaching, and how devastating, the disturbances will be.



What's your "waiting on" pick this week?

Want to participate? Grab the logo, post your own WoW entry on your blog, and leave your link below!





18 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sounds so good!

Shay(The Story Goes...) said...

Awesome pick! I'll have to look into it. =)

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

Interesting pick. I like the blurb. Thanks for sharing :)

Happy Wednesday :)

Shane @ Itching for Books

Sarah (Sarah's Book Shelves) said...

This looks interesting! I love historical fiction and this one sounds particularly juicy.

Emma said...

I absolutely adore anything that is set or has to do with London in any way! Will definitely have to add this book to my Goodreads list! Thanks for hosting. :)

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to this book as well. Sarah Water's writing is amazing.

The Librarian said...

Well, it does make me curious about what the couple brings to the table. But doesn't really look like the kind of book I'd pick up easily.

My Book Filled Life said...

Sounds like a good story!

Books in the Hall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Books in the Hall said...

Great pick! I love history, so I might pick it up to read!

My WoW is here Books in the Hall - Waiting on Wednesday

Mel said...

Ooo...this sounds interesting!

Eileen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eileen said...

This sounds like a really interesting book!

I just started my blog and joined WoW. I forgot to link my blog name BookCatPin when I entered it into the widget, hope it's alright. Thanks for hosting!

ChristasBooks said...

The Paying Guests was my pick last week! Can't wait to read it

Lis said...

Never heard about it, but it sounds good!

Unknown said...

Interesting pick.

Here’s my WoW!

Unknown said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4891890959878018804&postID=5529385190656098137&page=1&token=1405992248301&isPopup=true

JO said...

An investigation has been launched into the death of a person during torrential rain at the Burning Man festival in the US state of Nevada. บริษัทรับสร้างบ้านเชียงใหม่