Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Waiting On" Wednesday: Compass Rose

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:


Compass Rose
By John Casey
Publication Date: October 19

From Amazon:

Rose is spunky with an inborn talent for theatrics, but being slightly overweight and unpopular at the fancy new school where she’s a scholarship student is bad enough. It doesn’t help that her single mother is at war with her; her fisherman father lives practically next door with his own wife and kids; and the whole of their insular, gossipy community knows she’s an illegitimate child. On the other hand, maybe it isn’t so bad being related to half the town and unofficially adopted by everyone.

John Casey’s magnificent new novel follows Rose and the complex constellation of family, friends, and foes that circle around her as the years go by, working their slow but irreversible changes on one another and on the rugged, magical landscape they inhabit, with its salt marshes, its creeks and rivers, and the ever-present ocean, whose rhythms and moods shape and reshape the lives of the men and women of Rhode Island.

What's your "waiting on" pick this week?


Want to participate? Grab the logo, post your own WoW entry on your blog, and leave your link below!

35 comments:

Lizzy said...

I haven't heard of the author, but it sounds very intriguing. Great pick!

Darlyn said...

Great pick.I havent heard the author too ;p

Literary Cravings said...

Nice pick,Sound really interesting!!

Aleksandra said...

Sounds interesting :)

Dwayne said...

Interesting! Not one I heard before :)

Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This one sounds so great; thanks Jill

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I haven't heard of this one, or the author, but it sounds wonderful. Unique and captivating...Fabulous pick!

JL said...

Haven't heard of this, but it sounds interesting. Will have to add to my wishlist.

Mary said...

That sounds wonderful! The cover is great too. It would make me pick it up at a book store just to see what it's about. Great pick, Jill. No Wow for me this week.

Manga Maniac said...

Your pick looks really good! I enjoy stories that explore family relationships

Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading) said...

Thanks again for the meme Jill!

Tina's Blog said...

I am adding it to my list-the setting sounds wonderful

bermudaonion said...

What a life! Poor Rose - the book definitely sounds good though.

Kaylee. said...

sounds like a great book!

-kaylee.

Bronagh said...

Sounds like a great book!

Alayne said...

Nice pick! Looks like a really good story. I'd definitely be interested in this one.
Alayne - The Crowded Leaf

Lori said...

I hope that you enjoy your read. The cover looks relaxing.

Wendy said...

Love the cover! Nice choice:)

Here's mine: http://mindingspot.blogspot.com/2010/08/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Kai Agito said...

Sounds like a really good story. I like your pick!

melissa said...

nice pick. interesting premise!

Pixie said...

Good Pick, the cover is very calming.

Joy said...

Sounds very interesting, great pick.

Collegiate Bookworm said...

Haven't heard of this but it sounds great!
Great pick!

luv46kdz said...

I don't have any for myself. My darn tbr and the archive on my kindle is just insane! This one sounds like it's a good one.

Paula
Tomes Devotee

Tampa BookWorm said...

Sounds good! Have to check it out!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i love a big family story! this one looks great!

Christie (The Fiction Enthusiast) said...

Loving the sound of your choice :)

Sarah said...

Looks interesting--thanks for pointing it out :)

Chotti said...

That sounds interesting and heartbreaking at the same time. I already feel bad for Rose.

Angelatarantula said...

great pick!

Lea said...

Great pick, thank you again for hosting!

Lisa Mandina said...

Sounds interesting, is it a YA book, or regular adult fiction?

IntrovertedJen said...

I like the sound of the this one!

Namine said...

love the waiting on wednesday. have discovered a bunch of books I didn't even know about!! Can't wait until they are out now. new follower. I left something for you on my blog http://theclutterboxblog.blogspot.com/

Mistress of the Library said...

Here's my link! http://goddessofthelibrary.blogspot.com/2010/08/waiting-on-wednesday.html

This is my first time posting a WOW! Thanks for letting me participate!