Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Waiting on" Wednesday: Great House

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

Great House
By Nicole Krauss
Publication Date: October 12

From Books a Million:

For twenty-five years, a solitary American novelist has been writing at the desk she inherited from a young poet who disappeared at the hands of Pinochet's secret police; one day a girl claiming to be his daughter arrives to take it away, sending her life reeling. Across the ocean in London, a man discovers a terrifying secret about his wife of almost fifty years. In Jerusalem, an antiques dealer is slowly reassembling his father's Budapest study, plundered by the Nazis in 1944. These worlds are anchored by a desk of enormous dimension and many drawers that exerts a power over those who possess it or give it away. In the minds of those it has belonged to, the desk comes to stand for all that has disappeared in the chaos of the world-children, parents, whole peoples and civilizations.

What's your "waiting on" pick this week?

Want to participate? Grab the logo, post your own WoW entry on your blog, and leave your link below!

35 comments:

Lizzy said...

While I'm not a fan of the cover, this one does sound really interesting. Great pick!

June G said...

This doesn't sound like the type of book I usually read, but I have been surprised and this does sound like it has a lot of historical intrigue.

Darlyn said...

Hi Jill! I never know this author but the book sounds great!

Julie said...

That sounds really good. I'm putting it on my wishlist!

Anne said...

The cover looks like a cake about to topple over. Story sounds interesting. =)

Katie said...

Very intriguing, but like Lizzy, I'm not a fan of the cover. It could be more appealing

Mary said...

I'll be watching for reviews on this book. No WoW for me again this week.

Kali. said...

sounds interesting!

JL said...

The cover is not too interesting, but the description itself sounds like a good book. I'm a history buff, so it sounds like I would like this book.

Dwayne said...

This pick sounds interesting!

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I'm waiting on this one as well!

Book Sake said...

Great House sounds like something I would like to read, great find.

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ooh, that one sounds really good! I love stories about the past and the mysterious connections between the characters.

bermudaonion said...

That sounds so good!

Alayne said...

Fabulous choice. I really want this one as well!
Alayne - The Crowded Leaf

Katie said...

I'm not sure I would read that book...

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Nice pick!

Here is my WOW

melissa said...

Interesting pick!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i really like the cover!!

Literary Cravings said...

Interesting pick!!

Joy said...

Another book to add to my ever growing reserve list at the library. Have fun reading ;)

Sarah said...

Sounds intriguing. Thanks for pointing it out!

Nikki-ann said...

Sounds interesting.

I'm waiting on Roald Dahl's biography :)

pickygirlfoodfilmfiction said...

I've wanted to participate for a while and after seeing an article on this book this morning, I sought out your blog. Lo and behold, we are waiting on the same book.

I love the cover and cannot wait to see what this latest tale is like. Thanks for hosting.

Jess said...

I'm not sure if I'd read it but it does sound interesting.

Here's my WoW: Mini Shopaholic

The Bookish Type said...

I've been hearing a lot of good things about this author and this book! The whole premise is haunting and intriguing. Great pick!

秋懿綺懿綺娥 said...

Poverty tries friends...................................................................

PAPER BACK NOVEL said...

Love the plot. I love those books that manage to intertwine history with the present! Thanks

Tammy Cordeiro said...

This is a great idea to get lots of upcoming books out there! Here is a link to my blog:

Into the Mystic

Empress Awesome said...

Posted a little late, but I just couldn't help myself! I saw an amazing book that just had to be pimped :D

kit said...

hopefully this is the orginal blogger who started this
but this is going to be fun I hope you don't mind if I put my own twist on it

The Know-it-all said...

My choice would be "MockingJay" book three of the hunger games which is coming out this month :)

Ophelia99 said...

For some reason Mister Linky isn't working for me so...here is my WOW post: http://karissabooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/waiting-on-wednesday-818.html

Sarah said...

Mr. Linky wasn't working for me either :( But you can check out my post at

http://www.sarahdarlington.com/2010/08/waiting-on-wednesday.html

AJC said...

Her second book, History of Love, was so amazing. I've been holding my breath for this one since 2005.