Friday, June 17, 2011

Weekly Roundup 6/17


I'm halfway through Joy for Beginners by Erica Bauermeister, and it's an absolute pleasure. I love, love, love novels about women friendships. And the premise really got me thinking...after the main character recovers from cancer, she commits to taking a white-water rafting trip, a big fear of hers. She then issues individual challenges to her group of friends, getting them each to do something they would never normally do.

It made me wonder...what would my friends challenge me to?

I'm well-known for my all-black wardrobe (I even got married in it!), and my "uniform" of sorts is a black top and jeans. So, it was no surprise when I asked one of my friends what she would make me do outside of my comfort zone, she responded, "Spend an entire day in a hot pink, sleeveless dress with hot pink high heels." :) What would your friends say?

Next up for me is Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan!

Also this week, I discovered the Decatur Book Festival, held in a suburb of Atlanta, which is just a couple of hours away from me. I'm definitely going to make a Labor Day road trip. They released the list of authors today, and it includes Mary Kay Andrews, Jennifer Haigh, Joshilyn Jackson, and Kim Severson. If you've attended this event, please let me know your thoughts/experiences!

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I was going to try to make the Decatur Book Festival last year, but it didn't work out. Maybe this will be the year for me too!

Karen Greenberg said...

My friends would challenge me to do something that has to do with heights. I am TERRIFIED of them! Yesterday I was on the third floor of a building and made the mistake of looking over the railing (we were outside). That did NOT go well!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

My friends would probably challenge me to go away for a weekend without any kind of electronic devices...no Nook, no Kindle, no Ipad, no laptop, no Blackberry...scary just to think about it!

Anonymous said...

I finished JOY FOR BEGINNERS earlier this week and loved it. If my friends had to choose, it would probably be to take a trip to Europe or anywhere that I would have to fly for more than 3 or 4 hours. I'm not a comfortable flier. One day, maybe. :-)

Carla Jean said...

I've heard of the festival--heard good things!--but have never made it. But oh my gosh, Colin Meloy is speaking this year?! It's the convergence of two of my favorite things, music and books!

joyh82 said...

I like those reunion type books... have a great week reading! Looks like you get more blog entries every week with your Mr Linky ;)