Friday, June 24, 2011

Weekly Roundup 6/24


My most notable read this week was Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan. Believe every great thing you've seen/heard about this book (like Lily King's NYT review)...it's a must-read. It had all of my favorite elements...strong female characters, (complex and complicated) relationships between family members, a lush/summer setting. I stood at my mother's kitchen island last Sunday, while over there for Father's Day, with my finger in the air (hold on) as I read the final pages so I could leave it with her.

I'm up to my ears in "beach reads"...and I'm in heaven. I feel like I need to take a vacation just to read everything I have on hand. I plan on finishing Folly Beach by Dorothea Benton Frank today and reading Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand and Heat Wave by Nancy Thayer over the weekend.

I also picked up Southern Living Off the Eaten Path, subtitled Favorite Southern Dives and 150 Recipes that Made Them Famous. I've been waiting forever for it, and it has some heavy competition for my attention right now...but doesn't it look/sound great???


Finally, my new (to me) recipe of the week was Bubble Up Pizza, a sure-to-please-everyone recipe that is easily customizable to your preferences. Yum!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear your thoughts about MAINE. I want to read it soon. And...I loved the picture of your finger in the air "wait, almost done, almost done...".

The cookbook sounds really good. I'll have to be on the lookout for it. :-)

Tina's Blog said...

I also really liked Maine. I got that book through Amazon Vine, and when I looked at other reviews I felt like a lot of people found many faults with it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who really liked it.
Also-your recipe looks delish - and easy. I might need to try this one.

Kristen said...

I really want to read Maine ... your comments made me even more anxious to go and buy it!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Glad to see that you enjoyed MAINE so much. I have it for a summer treat.

Ann Summerville said...

I'm looking forward to Folly Beach too.
Ann

Shonda said...

I'm on the long wait list for Maine. Silver Girl is on hold as well (audio). Like you, I tend to spend my summer reading beach reads. There's many on my list and hopefully I can get to them all. Yes, taking a reading vacation sounds wonderful.