Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"Waiting On" Wednesday: The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:


The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion
By Fannie Flagg

Publication Date: November 5

From Amazon:

Mrs. Sookie Poole of Point Clear, Alabama, has just married off the last of her three daughters and is looking forward to relaxing and perhaps traveling with her husband, Earle. The only thing left to contend with now is her mother, the formidable and imposing Lenore Simmons Krackenberry—never an easy task. Lenore may be a lot of fun for other people, but is, for the most part, an overbearing presence for her daughter. Then one day, quite by accident, Sookie discovers a shocking secret about her mother’s past that knocks her for a loop and suddenly calls into question everything she ever thought she knew about herself, her family, and her future.
 
Feeling like a stranger in her own life, and fearful of confronting her mother with questions, Sookie begins a search for answers that takes her to California, the Midwest, and back in time, to the 1940s, when an irrepressible woman named Fritzi takes on the job of running her family’s filling station. With so many men off to war, it’s up to Fritzi and her enterprising younger sisters to keep it going. Soon truck drivers are changing their routes to fill up at the All-Girl Filling Station. But before long, Fritzi sees an opportunity for an even more groundbreaking adventure when she receives a life-changing invitation from the U.S. military to assist in the war effort. As Sookie learns more and more about Fritzi’s story, she finds herself with new answers to the questions she’s been asking her whole life.



What's your "waiting on" pick this week?


Want to participate? Grab the logo, post your own 
WoW entry on your blog, and leave your link below!



 

33 comments:

Judy said...

Oh, that sounds really good.

Sandy said...

You always have the most interesting selections and this 'WOW' is no exception. Sounds good and I love the era it's based in, too. :)

Tressa @ Wishful Endings said...

That actually sounds like a really good book. My WOW this week is for Shannon Hales' YA SciFi coming out next year.

Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

Anonymous said...

Sounds really good. Original and interesting:)

Bakey said...

I love Fannie Flagg's books, didn't realise she had this one coming out, sounds good :)

Caroline said...

That synopsis started out so-so and then got very cool! Sounds like a must-read.

Glass said...

Looks interesting.:)

Tina's Blog said...

This one's on my list, too! Love Fannie Flagg!

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Great choice! Another Fannie Flagg novel!

My WoW: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/07/waiting-on-wednesday-rathbones.html

Unknown said...

That book sounds insanely good. I'm putting it on my books I need to get list. I'm always looking for something different to get me out of my reading the same thing ways and this looks delightful, like it'll shake up the monotony.

Check out my WoW at my blog Vicariously!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I love Fannie Flagg! This one sounds delightful.

Unknown said...

Awesome WoW pick!
-Scott Reads It!

Anonymous said...

This pick sounds like a ton of fun - comes across like a YA with a good base in historical fiction - love it!

My WoW

@TCAbn The Motley Chronicles

bermudaonion said...

Ooh, Fannie Flagg!!

Unknown said...

Great choice, looks interesting!

My WoW:
http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/waiting-on-wednesday-7.html

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

Oh I lovE Fannie Flagg, so want this!

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

Natalie @Natflix&Books said...

You know, I've never read anything by Fannie Flagg, but I know she has a huge following. This one sounds pretty interesting.

Reese's Reviews said...

This one sounds great! Thank you for sharing!!

greg said...

This is an excellent meme. I look forward to the posts as they pile in on Wednesday. Just wish I had more time...

Lisa Mandina said...

I've never read any Fannie Flagg books, not my type really, but they seem to be pretty popular!

Anonymous said...

Good choice, Fannie Flagg always puts out fin-looking books, though I have never read any. Didn't she write the book Fried Green Tomatoes, which the movie was based on? I love the part where Kathy Bates drives her truck over the teens' little sports car in the parking lot after they steal her spot, and says, "Face it, girls, I'm older than you and I have more insurance". Believe me, you have to watch the movie to understand how funny that line is :)

Anonymous said...

Obviously in that first comment my word was not fin-looking about her books: choose either fine or fun to substitute...I am not a morning person ;)

Unknown said...

I didn't know about this one! I love Fannie Flagg though. Ill have to check it out. :-)

Laura said...

Sounds great! Sounds like a book both my mother and I could share - a rarity these days.

Jessica said...

I accidentally left my link twice, sorry about that!

Unknown said...

Definitely sounds interesting.

The Reading Nook Reviews said...

I love checking out your selections every week. :]

Anonymous said...

It sounds good :) i'm waiting on Kelley Armstrongs new book Omen

muhammad asim said...

Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

ryan james said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Very nice I accept as true with your thoughts. Many thanks a great deal I’ve benefited therefore usually I’ll visit your website.


Accredited GED Online

JO said...

Kyiv was attacked by Russian drones early on Sunday and debris fell in several districts, Ukrainian officials say, but no casualties were reported. สร้าง บ้าน เชียงใหม่