Thursday, July 10, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Doomsday

Here is this week's question:

What would you do if, all of a sudden, your favorite source of books was unavailable?

If something happened to my library, I would DIE! Okay, that's dramatic.

But, I'm a library girl through and through. And I always have been, ever since I was little. I remember leaving with a huge stack of books, my heart racing with excitement.

In fact, when my husband and I moved to another suburb, we moved outside of the main library system. I took one look inside my new library, drove to my former library, and asked them if I could pay to keep my record there (I could, and I did). My new library leaves a lot to be desired (too much money spent on the building, not enough on the collection).

Don't get me wrong, I have tons of books, and I always buy my favorite authors. But, my favorite format is just-released hardcover fiction, and with the way I read, I'd be in the poorhouse without the library.

Right when I read about a book that sounds interesting, usually in one of the trade review journals, I put it on my list online, well before its publication date, and it usually pops up with my name on it right when it's released. Love it, love it, love it.

8 comments:

jlshall said...

I've always been a library-lover, too. Ours leaves a lot to be desired - nice building, very poor book offerings. But there's nothing like that feeling of leaving the library with a stack of wonderful books, is there?

Anonymous said...

I agree--I need the library to support my reading habit, too. And I too have to pay for the library card, because we live just across the county line. But it's well worth the investment -- a pittance compared to what it would cost to buy all the books we read.

Linda Jacobs said...

My second home has been the library since I was in 5th grade and started reading voraciously. Our little town of 2000 people had the greatest books. We spent a winter in Bradenton, Florida, once, and I joined the library there, but could never find a book to read! All the good ones were always out.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite library memories was taking each child in on their 5th birthday and getting them their own library card. It was always an exciting thing to be able to check out the books they wanted on their own account. :-D

Anonymous said...

I gave up on my library about 12 years ago It wasn't very welcoming, and it's selection of newer releases was pretty thin.

I've only been back a few times since.

SmilingSally said...

I love my library system! I often request a title online and they telephone me when it's ready for pick up. What could be easier?

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I've just recently started visiting my library again (its new too) and I love it! I could stay there all day!

I'm sorry I've discouraged you from reading The Wentworths. I feel like that is time I'll never get back. :( If you change your mind and read it, I'd love to hear your opinion of the book.

Les said...

I own so many books waiting to be read, I probably would be fine unless I lived past 100. If that were to happen (mind you, I'm only 46!), I would be fine visiting the library, given someone would drive me. ;)