Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Sunday Salon: Post-Holiday Wrap-Up


I hope everyone had a great Fourth!

My husband and I got to my parents' house early, threw our floats in the pool, and read for hours until our family cookout. I was able to finish A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand (review here) before my three young nieces burst onto the scene! They OWN me, as anyone who knows me will attest to, and I adore "aunt" time with them.

I also finished No One You Know by Michelle Richmond (author of Year of Fog) this week (review here).

I'm about to pick up My Sister, My Love, the latest novel from Joyce Carol Oates. When I read she had a new one coming out, it immediately went on my TBR list...but it wasn't until I read an interview with her yesterday in BookPage that I knew that the subject matter mirrored the Jon Benet Ramsey case. Should be an interesting read. We Were the Mulvaneys and The Falls were two of her recent favorites of mine.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday...I'd love to hear what you're reading!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oates is one of those writers I've been meaning to read and just never somehow getting round to. Where do you suggest I start?

Jill said...

You know, I felt that way for the longest time. Her work didn't seem very accessible...I was honestly intimidated by it. I tend to enjoy her more mainstream books more. I would start with We Were the Mulvaneys. It's a deeply intimate and emotional portrait of a family and their secrets.

Andi said...

I'm with Ann on this - I keep meaning to read Oates and not getting around to it. I'll have to put the Mulvaneys on my list.

Anonymous said...

I have read Between, Georgia and adored it! I am sad to hear that her newest isn't so fantastic. :( I really love her style.
Now I'm off to read the rest of your reviews. Thanks for stopping at my blog!

Laura said...

Hi Jill! Thanks for stopping by my blog....I love your site here!!!! I will be back often.

I am anxiously awaiting the time I can buy the new Joyce Carol Oates book too! It looks great. I loved both of the ones you mentioned and also Missing Mom was a really great read. (I think that is the correct title).