Wednesday, May 7, 2014

"Waiting On" Wednesday: Dollbaby


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:


Dollbaby
By Laura Lane McNeal

Publication Date: July 3

From Amazon:

When Ibby Bell’s father dies unexpectedly in the summer of 1964, her mother unceremoniously deposits Ibby with her eccentric grandmother Fannie and throws in her father’s urn for good measure. Fannie’s New Orleans house is like no place Ibby has ever been—and Fannie, who has a tendency to end up in the local asylum—is like no one she has ever met. Fortunately, Fannie’s black cook, Queenie, and her smart-mouthed daughter, Dollbaby, take it upon themselves to initiate Ibby into the ways of the South, both its grand traditions and its darkest secrets.
 
For Fannie’s own family history is fraught with tragedy, hidden behind the closed rooms in her ornate Uptown mansion. It will take Ibby’s arrival to begin to unlock the mysteries there. And it will take Queenie and Dollbaby’s hard-won wisdom to show Ibby that family can sometimes be found in the least expected places.



What's your "waiting on" pick this week?

Want to participate? Grab the logo, post your own WoW entry on your blog, and leave your link below!





22 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Love the sound of this one....

Unknown said...

Not sure what to make of that. And a daughter named Dollbaby? Hmm. My grandmother always called baby dolls that when I was a kid.

Shay(The Story Goes...) said...

You always have the most interesting picks! =)

Camille Flores said...

Not my typical read but I can already imagine the friendships and family ties that Ibby will discover once she gets 'deposited' with her grandmother. :) Thanks for sharing Jill :)

Tressa @ Wishful Endings said...

That sounds really good. I like that last line about finding family in unexpected places.

Christina (BookTasty) said...

One of my coworkers at my previous school used to call her mother "Doll Baby" and I always thought it was a strange thing to call your mom so this is only the second time I've heard it used as a name! Weird!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I'm always intrigued by books set in New Orleans, this sounds like a really interesting read.

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

Ooh sounds really intriguing, especially since it takes place in New Orleans!

Great pick!

Happy Wednesday!

Shane @ Itching for Books

Sheri said...

Love the sound of this! Thanks for sharing and happy reading! Here is my WOW!

Unknown said...

I just linked up for the first time. :) Thanks for having me!

Unknown said...

I'm always a fan of books set in New Orleans. I'd be interested to hear how this one differs in story from The Help, and how the similarities play out. Enjoy!

Britt said...

I'm so happy to finally join W.o.W!! What a great thing you have started!! Xoxo
❤ Brittany @
Please Feed the Bookworm

Unknown said...

I usually don't read books set years before but this does sound interesting

Laura said...

Sounds good. Family isn't always defined by blood. Thanks for sharing it.

Irving Book Club said...

You picked another winner! I'm adding it to my list. There are so many great things coming out!

Ali @ Ali's Books said...

Love your pick this week! I'm a Louisiana girl & I love reading books based here!!

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Ack! Not sure I could read this one, but I love the cover!

Unknown said...

Nice pick!

My WoW this week is Exquisite Captive: http://dystopian-books.blogspot.com/2014/05/waiting-on-wednesday-4-exquisite-captive.html

Éowyn said...

This is my first time to join in, and I greatly enjoyed it. :) Thank you so much for hosting!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing :) This sounds fantastic

Unknown said...

I love the sound of this idea! :D