Friday, August 8, 2008

Friday Finds: August 8


I usually have several additions to my TBR when I read Publisher's Weekly every Monday morning, but this week yielded just one new find.

Godchildren
By Nicholas Coleridge
Publication Date: September 2
From PW: In this sweeping drama, Coleridge zeroes in on a charismatic tycoon whose desires and drive know no bounds. Told through his godchildren's eyes over the course of three decades, his illicit passions and activities come to startling life, as well as the extraordinary impact he has on his charges, despite the paucity of their interactions. Coleridge's latest family epic will hold readers spellbound.

It was a good library week, as four new books came my way:

First was What Happened to Anna K., which was the subject of last week's Friday Finds entry (here). I'm glad I didn't have to wait long for it...looks like a great read.

Also:












The Romantics b
y Galt Niederhoffer
"A wry observer of cultural and social mores, Galt Niederhoffer creates a pitch-perfect group of characters and a winning novel about friendship, class, and love." (book jacket)

Babylon Rolling by Amanda Boyden
"A glittering, gritty, and unflinching story of five families--black, white, and Indian--living along one block of Uptown, New Orleans" (book jacket)

My House on First Street by Julia Reed
Another New Orleans story, this one a memoir. The author also just released another memoir (within two weeks of each other): Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialities, which my mom just passed along to me.

What came on your radar and/or into your home this week?

5 comments:

Shana said...

Hi, Jill -

I can't wait to read What Happened to Anna K. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on it!

Cheers,
Shana @ Literarily
http://blog.literarily.com

JoAnn said...

Jill, I hope you have a better success rate with your library finds from this week than I did...I "put aside" 6 out of 10. Hate when that happens, but the older I get, the less patience I have with a book that does not call to me.

Someone once said, about a book I could not get into...."well, I did not get into it until about page 250". YE GODS, I cannot imagine struggling for that many pages to get into a book.

JoAnn
everydaymatters.typepad.com

Jill said...

Shana...I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to read it as quick as I can. Check back in.

Joann...the "250 pages" quote cracked me up...no way would I give something that long.

Anonymous said...

Jill, my Friday Finds are at my blog www.sheIsTooFondOfBooks.com (sorry, I've misplaced my html cheat sheet!)

What is the Publishers Weekly you read on Mondays? Is that a paid subscription? Is it weekly full-length reviews and other news? Thanks for any info you can share ...

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Consider that Anna Karenina is one of my favorite books, I'm very much interested in What Happened to Anna K. :)