Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday Salon: Back From Vacation


I missed last week's Salon, as I was at the beach. I thought I wouldn't get much reading done, with three little nieces running around, but I got in a couple of books:

Somebody Else's Daughter by Elizabeth Brundage (review here)

Babylon Rolling by Amanda Boyden (review here)

I've also started "Waiting On" Wednesday, which profiles a soon-to-be-released book that I'm much anticipating. I'd love to have book bloggers participate each week. It's another great way to build our TBR lists.

It's a rainy Sunday here in Birmingham, as we're feeling the effects of Tropical Storm Fay. I desperately need an "at home" day, so I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with Off Season, the latest from Anne Rivers Siddons, one of my all-time favorite Southern writers.

Hope everyone has had a great week! I'm looking forward to reading what you've all been reading.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the condolences.

I've been wanting to read Somebody Else's Daughter. I've heard a lot of great things about it, and the premise of the book is exactly the kind of book I pick up off the shelf.

I hope you don't get washed away by Fay. My mom's going to be driving through part of the rain on her way home. She was also right where Dolly went. The eye went over 12 miles north of her in Texas before it turned south into Mexico.

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the beach. I'm overdue for that! Great review of SOMEBODY ELSES DAUGHTER. I definitely want to get that one. Enjoy the rainy day!

Lisa said...

Heartbreak Hotel is one of my very favorite books, but I have to admit I haven't read much else by Siddons. I can't wait to see your review.

Anonymous said...

Love the name of your blog. :)
I adore ARS as well and I'm anxious to hear what you think of Off Season.
I really like her older stuff as well. Anoter of my favorites of hers is Islands. So good.
Happy Sunday.

Becca said...

I'm very keen to read the new Siddons novel, and I'll look forward to your review.

We've been at our home in southern Florida since Thursday, and the weather has been very changeable - lots of unexpected downpours!

Les said...

I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on the Siddons book. Colony is my all-time favorite of hers. Definitely time for a re-read of that!!

Linda Jacobs said...

Vacations are so necessary! Glad you got to read some! My summer vacation ends today and my heart is heavy.

Kristin Joy said...

Welcome back!! Hope your vacation trip might be refreshing & full of fun.