Sunday, June 29, 2008

Review: Fearless Fourteen

Up until last year, the only mystery series I read with any regularity was Diane Mott Davidson's culinary suspense novels. When I was in the middle of a reading dry spell, and a new co-worker went on and on (and on and on) about Janet Evanovich, I picked up One for the Money and gave it a shot.

After that, I couldn't get my hands on the next number in the series fast enough. I went through all 13 in less than two months. They go down so easy, and I love the perpetually quirky characters. I usually prefer a little block of time to sit down and devote my full attention to a book, but I found myself grabbing these books and reading during tiny pockets of time, like during commercial breaks or while the microwave heats up my lunch.

In short, I adore them.

So, here's the latest installment, and it does not disappoint. It's hard to give a synopsis for these, because the formula is pretty much the same...bounty hunter Stephanie gets in another cat-and-mouse game, complete with her larger than life partner-in-solving-crime and an ongoing love triangle. A few people die along the way, crazy Grandma Mazur gets involved, and it all comes to a head in the final pages.

This one's ending was a little tepid, but with this series, it's the characters that make these so enjoyable. I've heard some murmurs that not everyone would agree with me on this, but in my opinion, it's just as entertaining as the others.

1 comment:

COCO said...

The Israeli military has released footage which it says shows hostages being taken into Gaza's largest hospital after the deadly Hamas attacks of 7 October. สร้างบ้านลำปาง